A hearty Marrakesh lamb shank stew oozing with exotic fruit and spice flavor.
- 8 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped chilli
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 425 g (15 ounces) apricot halves
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a deep-sided pan on high and brown the lamb in batches, removing each batch before adding the next. Remove and put aside.
- Add the spices to the pan, stirring until well blended with the pan juices. Stir in the stock and juice only from the apricots. Set aside the apricots.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until tender when prodded with a fork, approximately 1.5 -2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- If the consistency needs thickening, simmer with the lid off until reduced (about 15-20 mins). Add the apricots just before serving to heat through.
- Serve the lamb shanks on a bed of couscous
Recipe courtesy of www.beefandlamb.com.au