Rack of lamb braised in maple syrup, white wine, oregano, and orange peel. Served over braised red potatoes and onions topped with peas and squash.
- 1.2kg (2.6 pounds) lamb rack
- 500 g (1 pound) baby potatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small brown onions, peeled and cut into thick rings
- 3 large sprigs of fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 3 pieces of orange peel, 2cm (1 inch) wide
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) frozen peas
- 6 yellow squash, quartered
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Bring a heavy-based casserole dish to a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and brown lamb racks all over and set aside. Add another tbsp oil, then add potato halves, onion, and salt and cook until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Place lamb racks on top of vegetables and add wine, stock and 2 tbsp maple syrup to deglaze pan, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add orange peel and oregano and cover with lid. Place into the oven for 2 hours.
- Change oven to grill setting, uncover lamb, add peas, and squash, brush lamb with remaining maple syrup and allow to crisp up for 20 minutes , serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of www.beefandlamb.com.au