Arcadian organic lamb is available from our partners at Whole Foods Market. Click on the button to find your nearest stockist.
Lamb, mushroom and beer pot pies are make the ultimate comfort food. They are great to make ahead and freeze and cook when you need them.
- 1 kg (2 pounds) Australian boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups light beer
- 500 g (1 pound) small portabello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 package puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- black sesame seeds
- Place the diced lamb, flour, nutmeg and salt and pepper into a bag or bowl and toss to make sure all the lamb is well-coated. Heat the oil in a medium-heavy pot over medium-high heat. Cook lamb until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the beer and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer until lamb is tender, about 1 hour, stirring at intervals to avoid sticking. Stir in the prepared mushrooms, adjust seasonings to taste. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid removed, until the juices are reduced and thickened. Allow to cool completely.
- Divide stew among 4 small pie dishes. Cut four 7-inch squares of pastry. Cover each pot pie with a pastry square, allowing it to drape over the sides. Refrigerate until cold, approximately 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Brush pie tops with egg wash and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Bake pies on a rimmed baking sheet until crusts are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and vegetables of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of www.australian-lamb.com