Arcadian organic lamb is available from our partners at Whole Foods Market. Click on the button to find your nearest stockist.
A mild and aromatic North African style lamb and chickpea stew.
- 300 g (10 ounces) diced lamb leg, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 200 g (7 ounces) pumpkin, peeled and diced (Japanese or butternut)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 800g (28 ounces) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400 g (14 ounces) canned cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- To serve, coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsely and coriander (cilantro), thick natural yoghurt and lemon wedges
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add vegetables and sauté for about 3 minutes until starting to soften, stir in spices until fragrant, then add stock, chickpeas and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes until well-flavoured and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, brown lamb well all over, add to stew and simmer to warm through. Stir through a handful of parsley, squeeze in lemon juice to taste and check seasoning, serve hot with thick natural yoghurt.
Recipe courtesy of www.beefandlamb.com.au