This is one dish that has become very popular in many other countries for its delicious yet simple flavors and versatility.
- 700 g (1 1/2 pounds) Lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cloves minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4-6 large pitas
- Place the lamb in a large bowl. Combine 1 tablespoon of the thyme, half the garlic and the salt and pepper, then add to the lamb and toss well. Cover and leave for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse. Thread onto metal or pre-soaked wooden skewers.
- Place the yogurt in a small bowl and add the remaining thyme and garlic and the lemon juice. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue the kabobs over medium to high heat until cooked as desired, about 4-5 minutes each side for medium rare.
- Toast the pitas lightly on the grill until just warmed, and top with the lettuce and tabbouleh or tomato. Remove the lamb from the skewers and place on salad. Drizzle with the yogurt and wrap firmly into a roll.
Recipe courtesy of www.australian-lamb.com